Why this blog??

Why this blog?? I often find myself stressing over what to make for my family for dinner. We live a busy life and some meals need time to prep, cook and let's not forget shopping for everything you need. I love cookbooks and websites, but there are so many recipe's at times it is overwhelming. The recipe's I will be posting are things I actually made. I will tell you if they are easy or more time consuming. I will also tell you if they are good. Most of these are recipe's I have made for years and continue to make because they are easy or quick and my family loves them and i know yours will too! I will also try to at least once in a whlie try a new recipe I've found on line or in a book and honestly rate it. I always encourage others to send me their favorite recipe's as well! I am a mom... not a chef. But I am a mom who enjoys cooking for her family and making a somewhat healthy meal (some days more healthy than others:) ) In each recipe I will share how I recommend serving it, any substitutions I can think of that are also good, or ways to prepare ahead of time to make the cooking part seem quicker! I am not a photographer, as you can see... most of these pictures are taken from my phone camera, so may not be the best! I love to hear from others who have made these recipes and what they have done to change the recipe... please post comments! Thank you! To "like" me on facebook, go to this link... It's What's Cookin

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Parmigiano-Reggiano Crusted Chicken Piccata



This is a Rachael Ray recipe that I found pinned on Pinterest. I LOVE anything lemony and made with Parmigiano-Reggiano so I wanted to give it a try. I followed the recipe exactly, by only adding italian seasoning, and I really liked it. I think the key is really getting the chicken thin. I used 2 big breasts and butterflied them and pounded them even more to make them as thin as possible. My husband said it was a tad too lemony, but I LOVE lemon so I didn't think there was enough:) Kids ate it and liked it as well so I will definitely make it again! We made this with Ina-Garten's Sauteed Broccolini recipe.


Ingredients:
1/4 cup flour 
1 tsp Italian Seasonings2 eggs 
1 1/4 cups grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, divided 
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, pounded 1/4-inch thick 
Salt 
1/2 pound angel hair pasta 
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided 
Juice of 1 lemon, plus 1 sliced lemon 
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped 
1/4 cup capers, drained and patted dry, or 12 caper berries, sliced 
1/2 cup dry white wine (eyeball it) 
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley leaves, chopped 
1/2 cup chicken stock 
2 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into small pieces 
One package baby spinach (5 ounces) 
Pepper 



1. Place the flour and italian seasonings on a plate (mixed together). In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs; place 1 cup cheese on another plate. Working with one cutlet at a time, coat the chicken with the flour, then egg and then cheese, pressing to adhere. I also added pepper to each side of the chicken. Transfer to a plate.

2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt it, add the pasta and cook to al dente, 3 minutes. Drain, reserving a ladleful of water.

3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons EVOO, two turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until deeply golden, 10 minutes. Transfer to a platter and cover with foil. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon EVOO, one turn of the pan, to the skillet. Add the sliced lemon, garlic and capers and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the wine and parsley and cook until reduced, 1 minute. Lower the heat and bring to a simmer.

4. Stir the chicken stock into the sauce for 1 minute. Stir in the butter until melted, then stir in the lemon juice. Spoon a little sauce over the chicken. Add the spinach to the remaining sauce in the skillet and cook until wilted. Add the reserved pasta cooking water. Stir in the pasta and toss to coat; season with salt and pepper. Add the remaining cheese and toss. Serve the pasta with the chicken.





Butterflied chicken breast and then pounded even thinner

flour on a plate (mix with italian seasoning

Fresh grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

Dip Chicken first in flour, then egg wash, then coat in cheese. 

I add fresh ground pepper as well to each side of chicken


Rest of ingredients, Lemon juice, chopped flat leaf parsley, chopped garlic, chicken stock (broth), wine, capers.

Pan fry chicken in olive oil

Flip after 5-7 minutes and cook till cooked through

Add your lemon slice, capers and garlic

Add parsley and wine. Then add chicken broth, butter and lemon juice. Spoon some sauce over chicken. To the rest of the sauce, add the spinach and saute.

Once spinach is wilted add reserved pasta water and noodles. Stir and then add remaining cheese and pepper.

I put noodles down first, then chicken on top. Served with side of broccolini. YUM

No comments: