This is another recipe I can thank Pinterest for... Originating from For the Love of Cooking. I followed the recipe almost exactly, except I added shredded cheddar cheese to the top before baking. This is a great, easy recipe for a weekday meal. Great for pot lucks. Kids and husbands love it too! It's a whole meal all in one! I will say, this dish tastes much better than it looks!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion- chopped
- 1 lb mushrooms quartered
- 1 stalk of celery diced (I love celery so I used 2 stalks)
- 1 box of Farmhouse Long Grain & Wild Rice (or your favorite brand), prepared per instructions (I used a 6oz box of Near East Long Grain and Wild Rice- Original)
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, cubed (You can use left over chicken, rotisserie chicken or what I did was I put 2 chicken breasts in a Fry pan with olive oil and Montreal Chicken Seasonings. Seared both sides and then placed chicken in 400 degree oven until just done. Then I shredded with two forks. I prefer shredded chicken over diced)
- 1 6-8 oz can of sliced water chestnuts, diced
- 1 cup of broccoli florets
- 1 10 3/4 oz can of Cream of Chicken soup
- 1 10 3/4 oz can of Cream of Celery soup
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise (I used Kraft Mayo with Olive Oil)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare rice per instructions. In a heated pan add 1/2 tbsp oil and cook mushrooms until golden brown – remove from pan. Add the other 1/2 tbsp of oil to the pan and cook onions and celery until soft. Using a steamer, steam broccoli until just fork tender, then cool. (I added fresh broccoli florets to a big bowl with 1T of water. Placed paper towel over bowl and microwaved for 3 minutes. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Put into a baking dish and cover with cheese. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes prior to serving. Enjoy.
|I seared and then baked chicken I seasoned well and then shredded it.|
|Steamed broccoli, chopped onion, diced celery, can of sliced water chestnuts (that I diced), and quartered mushrooms|
|Brown mushrooms in some olive oil|
|Make rice per package instructions|
|Saute onion and celery in olive oil|
|Diced water chestnuts|
|Put all ingredients into a big bowl|
|I added cheese to the top. Cheese makes EVERYTHING better!|
|Bake at 350 for 30 mins|