I found this recipe on pinterest and had to try it. What's not to like??! Chicken... good! Cream cheese... good! Bacon... great! Puff Pastry... awesome!!! I really liked this recipe, but even more, I liked the idea. Next time I make it I will play with it a bit. I may stuff the chicken with brie and thin sliced green apple!! Mmmmm!
Here is the link for the original recipe from someones blog... Kaytucky Chicken
* 4 chicken breasts- butterflied
* 2 boxes frozen puff pastry sheets (I used Pepperidge Farms brand)
* 4-6 oz cream cheese
* handfull flat-leaf parsley- chopped
* 1 green onion- diced thin
* 1 garlic clove- minced
* 4-6 strips of bacon- crispy. Torn into small pieces (you could fry up pancetta and use that too)
* 1 egg- beaten
* salt and pepper
1. Defrost pastry sheets in fridge for at least 6 hours before hand so they are easier to work with. (I didn't do this step and it was hard to work with, which is why mine didn't look as pretty. Still tasted great though!
2. Preheat oven to 400 and spray cookie sheet with Pam
3. In medium bowl, mix cream cheese, parsley, onion, garlic, bacon and some pepper.
4. Stuff 1/4 of the mixture into each butterflied chicken breast. Close chicken around mixture. Season each chicken breast with salt and pepper.
5. Take 2-3 sheets of the puff pastry and wrap around the chicken. Brush the beaten egg to the edges of the pastry- using it as a type of glue (the link to the recipe above gives good pictures on how to do this)
6. Place all 4 on a baking sheet and bake for 35 mins (or until chicken is cooked through... time will vary depending on thickness of chicken.)
Enjoy! I recommend serving this with some type of veggie... we love roasted broccoli or sauteed string beans!
**I originally was your to use pillsbury crescent rolls to wrap around the chicken. Then I realized the chicken would take 30+ minutes to cook through and the crescents only take 12 minutes. By the time the chicken would be cooked through, I was afraid the crescents would be burnt. The puff pastry sheets cooked nicely and were golden brown the same time as the chicken was done. It was nice and flaky too.
|minced garlic and cream cheese|
|cream cheese, bacon, green onion, parsley, garlic and fresh ground black pepper|
|Close fold over|
|Season breasts with salt and pepper|
|Wrap in puff pastry sheets (mine were still frozen so didn't fold well making it hard to work with and not as pretty..)|
|Bake till golden and chicken cooked through|
|We cut them in half to serve. They were awesome!!|