Why this blog??

Why this blog?? I often find myself stressing over what to make for my family for dinner. We live a busy life and some meals need time to prep, cook and let's not forget shopping for everything you need. I love cookbooks and websites, but there are so many recipe's at times it is overwhelming. The recipe's I will be posting are things I actually made. I will tell you if they are easy or more time consuming. I will also tell you if they are good. Most of these are recipe's I have made for years and continue to make because they are easy or quick and my family loves them and i know yours will too! I will also try to at least once in a whlie try a new recipe I've found on line or in a book and honestly rate it. I always encourage others to send me their favorite recipe's as well! I am a mom... not a chef. But I am a mom who enjoys cooking for her family and making a somewhat healthy meal (some days more healthy than others:) ) In each recipe I will share how I recommend serving it, any substitutions I can think of that are also good, or ways to prepare ahead of time to make the cooking part seem quicker! I am not a photographer, as you can see... most of these pictures are taken from my phone camera, so may not be the best! I love to hear from others who have made these recipes and what they have done to change the recipe... please post comments! Thank you! To "like" me on facebook, go to this link... It's What's Cookin

Friday, September 2, 2011

Spaghetti Squash

Shown with marinara and fresh grated cheese!

A low fat, low carb italian meal?!? Is there such a thing??? There is! And it is amazing as well!  My sister in law introduced me to spaghetti squash not too long ago. I just love it! It's a great substitute for pasta (which is my biggest downfall when it comes to dieting! I can NOT give up pasta or bread... it's the Italian in me!) Spaghetti squash is great with just olive oil and italian seasonings or topped with your favorite marinara sauce!  The other night I made it with olive oil and seasonings, but then I topped it with some left over sauce I had when I made my Chicken Parm Meatballs and I served it along side my Caprese Chicken (Also low fat and low carbs... also italian!)

*Medium to Large Spaghetti Squash
*2-3 T of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Or if you wanna get crazy... a little butter!)
*2 T Italian seasonings
*Pepper and Salt

Optional toppings:
extra olive oil
Marinara sauce
fresh grated cheese (my fav- parm-reggiano)

Preheat oven to 375
1)Cut squash in half vertically (this is by far the hardest step in making this!)
2)Scoop out the seeds and discard
3)Brush each half with about a T of olive oil and sprinkle the seasonings on each half.
4)Place each half on a baking sheet face down. Cook for about 45 minutes.
5)Take them out and flip over. If they look a bit dry, you can add more oil (or butter). Bake face up for another 40-45 minutes. (time may very depending on size of squash)
6)Take a fork and run it horizontally across inside of squash. The "spaghetti" should form easily! Scoop it out and transfer to a serving bowl.
7)Top with any toppings, stir well and serve immediately!
Enjoy!!

Cut down middle vertically.. Careful!

Spoon out seeds in center with a spoon.

brush each with olive oil (or butter)

Season with italian seasonings and pepper and salt.

bake face down for 45 minutes

turn over and bake another 40 minutes or so.

Run fork across horizontally and watch the "spaghetti" form!



Caprese Chicken with Spaghetti Squash topped with marinara and fresh grated cheese.

No comments: