Why this blog??

Why this blog?? I often find myself stressing over what to make for my family for dinner. We live a busy life and some meals need time to prep, cook and let's not forget shopping for everything you need. I love cookbooks and websites, but there are so many recipe's at times it is overwhelming. The recipe's I will be posting are things I actually made. I will tell you if they are easy or more time consuming. I will also tell you if they are good. Most of these are recipe's I have made for years and continue to make because they are easy or quick and my family loves them and i know yours will too! I will also try to at least once in a whlie try a new recipe I've found on line or in a book and honestly rate it. I always encourage others to send me their favorite recipe's as well! I am a mom... not a chef. But I am a mom who enjoys cooking for her family and making a somewhat healthy meal (some days more healthy than others:) ) In each recipe I will share how I recommend serving it, any substitutions I can think of that are also good, or ways to prepare ahead of time to make the cooking part seem quicker! I am not a photographer, as you can see... most of these pictures are taken from my phone camera, so may not be the best! I love to hear from others who have made these recipes and what they have done to change the recipe... please post comments! Thank you! To "like" me on facebook, go to this link... It's What's Cookin

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Banana's Foster

This recipe is really the whole reason I thought of this blog. I was on vacation a year ago and I really wanted to make my Banana's Foster dessert for everyone. It's a favorite of my mine (and my husbands) and I make it a lot when we have dinner parties. Anyway, I was on vacation and I could not for the life of me remember the recipe to this. I thought to myself... wouldn't it be nice if I had all my favorite recipe's on-line where I could access them anywhere I wanted?! So that's what I did. I started by putting my recipes on this site just for myself. When friends or family would call me for a recipe of mine, i started just giving them this site instead of reading off to them how to make it. It was much easier. Now I share with all of you and I hope you are enjoying some of them!!

If you ever have a dinner party and are in charge of a dessert, this is a great recipe. It's quick and easy and tastes amazing! You make it right before you serve so it's not a recipe to bring with you to someone else's house.

Serves 4-6 
*4 medium bananas- peeled and hut in half lengthwise. Then cut each half into two pieces
*1/4 cup butter
*1 cup packed brown sugar
*1/4 cup creme de banane (banana liqueur)
*1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
*1/4 cup dark rum
*2-3 cups vanilla ice cream

1) Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. (Careful not to burn the butter). Stir in brown sugar, banana liqueur and cinnamon. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes. 

2) Add bananas and cook for 4 minutes or until tender. (I usually flip my bananas half way through).

3) Remove from heat and add Rum. Ignite rum (top of pan) with a long match or lighter that has a long handle. I dim the lights for this to put on a show:) haha.  Stir banana's lightly till flame dies down.

4) Put a scoop of vanilla ice cream in a dessert bowl (or goblet). Spoon banana's and sauce over ice cream and serve immediately. 



I haven't taken pictures of this yet, but since it was the recipe that started this blog I wanted to add it!! Hope you enjoy!!

No comments: