Why this blog??

Why this blog?? I often find myself stressing over what to make for my family for dinner. We live a busy life and some meals need time to prep, cook and let's not forget shopping for everything you need. I love cookbooks and websites, but there are so many recipe's at times it is overwhelming. The recipe's I will be posting are things I actually made. I will tell you if they are easy or more time consuming. I will also tell you if they are good. Most of these are recipe's I have made for years and continue to make because they are easy or quick and my family loves them and i know yours will too! I will also try to at least once in a whlie try a new recipe I've found on line or in a book and honestly rate it. I always encourage others to send me their favorite recipe's as well! I am a mom... not a chef. But I am a mom who enjoys cooking for her family and making a somewhat healthy meal (some days more healthy than others:) ) In each recipe I will share how I recommend serving it, any substitutions I can think of that are also good, or ways to prepare ahead of time to make the cooking part seem quicker! I am not a photographer, as you can see... most of these pictures are taken from my phone camera, so may not be the best! I love to hear from others who have made these recipes and what they have done to change the recipe... please post comments! Thank you! To "like" me on facebook, go to this link... It's What's Cookin

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Chicken in a Pocket


My friend Kelly gave me this recipe since her family loves it. I have to admit, I was a little hesitant to make it at first because I couldn't visualize it. But it sounded easy and I knew my family would like everything in it so I decided to make it. We all loved it!! It reminds me a little of mini pot pies (in fact, next time I make these I may use a little less green onion and add some finely chopped carrot and celery to this!) But it's great just the way it is too!! Thanks again Kelly for another recipe my family will use for a long time!!

Ingredients:

Pockets:
*2 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded (I'm a big fan of shredded vs chopped in a dish like this. I had a few chicken breasts on hand so I boiled them with some seasoning and then shredded. Next time I will use rotisserie chicken making it that much easier!)
*1 package (8oz) nonfat cream cheese at room temp (I used 1/3 less fat, but next time i will try the fat free!)
*4 green onions chopped (I only used 2 1/2 since my family isn't huge onion lovers)
*2 cans (7 oz each) buttermilk biscuits (10 biscuits per can)

Sauce:
*1 can (10 oz) reduced fat cream of chicken soup (I, on accident, grabbed the cream of celery soup and used that. It was still great, but my husband and I agreed the cream of chicken would be a bit better)
*1/2 can water
*Season with black pepper

Preheat oven to 375

1)Mix first 3 ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix well.

2)Lay out half the biscuits on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Lightly flatten the biscuits with the palm of your hand.

3)Equally divide the chicken mixture on the ten biscuits. Flatten remaining biscuits and place over biscuits topped with filling. Seal edges by pinching.

4)Bake for 20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.

5)While they are baking, prepare sauce by mixing soup and water in a sauce pan. Heat on medium heat and cook until thoroughly heated. Spoon sauce over each pocket when serving.


mix shredded chicken, cream cheese and green onion well

flatten bottom layer biscuit, add scoop of chicken mixture and then add your top layer biscuit and pinch sides together.


Spoon sauce over the top before serving.

YUM!


We enjoyed serving these with a side of sweet corn on the cob and Roasted Carrots with Feta and Parsley

No comments: