Why this blog??

Why this blog?? I often find myself stressing over what to make for my family for dinner. We live a busy life and some meals need time to prep, cook and let's not forget shopping for everything you need. I love cookbooks and websites, but there are so many recipe's at times it is overwhelming. The recipe's I will be posting are things I actually made. I will tell you if they are easy or more time consuming. I will also tell you if they are good. Most of these are recipe's I have made for years and continue to make because they are easy or quick and my family loves them and i know yours will too! I will also try to at least once in a whlie try a new recipe I've found on line or in a book and honestly rate it. I always encourage others to send me their favorite recipe's as well! I am a mom... not a chef. But I am a mom who enjoys cooking for her family and making a somewhat healthy meal (some days more healthy than others:) ) In each recipe I will share how I recommend serving it, any substitutions I can think of that are also good, or ways to prepare ahead of time to make the cooking part seem quicker! I am not a photographer, as you can see... most of these pictures are taken from my phone camera, so may not be the best! I love to hear from others who have made these recipes and what they have done to change the recipe... please post comments! Thank you! To "like" me on facebook, go to this link... It's What's Cookin

Monday, February 14, 2011

Chicken and Veggie Stir Fry

I love Asian food, but most places use too much oil and fat in cooking. I wanted to make something at home that was healthy and good. I've made stir fry before using frozen stir fry veggies you can find at many grocery stores... I never really liked it. I googled a bunch of stir fry recipes on line and made up my own recipe using a bunch of other ones that looked good. This was a good first attempt and I really liked it.



  • 4 (4 ounce) organic boneless skinless chicken breast halves- cut into strips or chunks
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch (+1 tsp for thicker sauce)
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons Szechuan Spicy Stir-Fry Sauce (for medium spice) (more or less to taste)
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 tsp chinese five spice
  • 1 tsp minced fresh garlic
  • 3 tablespoons cooking oil, divided (I used stir fry oil found near asian food)
  • 1 cups broccoli florets
  • 1 cup sliced celery (1/2 inch pieces)
  • 1 cup thinly sliced carrots- I used half bag of carrot chips found in salad section of grocery store
  • 1 small sweet onion, large chop
  • bunch of green onions, cut in 2 inch pieces
  • 1 small orange or yellow pepper, large chop
  • 1 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 1 can sliced water chesnuts
  • 1 can bean sprouts
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
  • 2 cups rice (i like Calrose rice made in rice cooker. Jasmine rice is also very good. Or any brown rice would be the healthier option)

Optional ingredients
*Can bamboo shoots
*can baby corn
*Hot sauce to add to your bowl- my fav is Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce (rooster sauce)







  1. Place chicken in a resealable plastic bag. Add cornstarch and Chinese five spice and toss to coat. Combine 2 T of the soy sauce, ginger and garlic powder; add to bag and shake well. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  2. In a large skillet or wok, heat 2 tablespoons of oil; stir-fry chicken until no longer pink, about 3-5 minutes. Remove and keep warm. Add remaining oil; stir- fry all the veggies and the fresh garlic for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add water and bouillon. Return chicken to pan. In small bowl add the szechuan spice stir fry sauce, the remaining soy sauce, and brown sugar. Stir and add to pan (you can also add another tsp of corn starch here if you prefer a thicker sauce. I did) Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
  3. Serve over sticky rice and add extra hot sauce to taste. 

No comments: