Why this blog??

Why this blog?? I often find myself stressing over what to make for my family for dinner. We live a busy life and some meals need time to prep, cook and let's not forget shopping for everything you need. I love cookbooks and websites, but there are so many recipe's at times it is overwhelming. The recipe's I will be posting are things I actually made. I will tell you if they are easy or more time consuming. I will also tell you if they are good. Most of these are recipe's I have made for years and continue to make because they are easy or quick and my family loves them and i know yours will too! I will also try to at least once in a whlie try a new recipe I've found on line or in a book and honestly rate it. I always encourage others to send me their favorite recipe's as well! I am a mom... not a chef. But I am a mom who enjoys cooking for her family and making a somewhat healthy meal (some days more healthy than others:) ) In each recipe I will share how I recommend serving it, any substitutions I can think of that are also good, or ways to prepare ahead of time to make the cooking part seem quicker! I am not a photographer, as you can see... most of these pictures are taken from my phone camera, so may not be the best! I love to hear from others who have made these recipes and what they have done to change the recipe... please post comments! Thank you! To "like" me on facebook, go to this link... It's What's Cookin

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Asian influenced Butterfish, rice pilaf, and veggies

We love going to Roy's for date night. I am obsessed with their Butterfish. A while back I decided it can't be that hard to make at home so we've been making this dish on occasion. It's still pretty pricy (I think a pound of the fish is around $20 +)

This will serve 2 people:

*3/4-1lb of Butterfish (also known as Black Cod or Sable fish- I get it at Whole foods and it's sold there as
          Black Cod)
*1 1/2 cups yoshida's gourmet sauce
*additional 1/4 cup yoshida's gourmet sauce
*2 T soy sauce
*2 tsp fresh minced garlic
*1 tsp Chinese Five Spice (optional)
*1/2 cup sweet onion- chopped
*1 T EVOO
*1 bay leaf
*2 cups water
*1 cup sticky rice (i like calrose rice)
*1/4 cup chopped green onion
salt/pepper
*1 medium zucchini- julienne
*3 carrots- julienne  or 1/2 cup carrot chips
*1 or 2 bok chow

I marinate the fish for at least 4 hours in a zip lock with 1 1/2 cups yoshida's, the soy sauce, garlic and five spice.

RICE: I start my rice first. On a sauce pan I saute the onion in the EVOO with salt and pepper. Once sauteed, i add a bay leaf, the rice and water. Bring to a boil and simmer till rice is done. Fluff with fork and add hand full of the green onions just before serving. Sometimes i splash a LITTLE soy over top too.

FISH: I made a little pan out of tinfoil, folding up sides. I place fish on it with 1/4 of the marinade. I grill it skin up first. After about 5 minutes I flip it so skin is down. Grill till done. Fish will become very flaky. Skin should just come off (and most likely stick to tin foil)

VEGGIES: I use my mandoline to julienne my veggies. I make another pan from tin foil. I place the julienne carrot's and zucchini on it. (sometimes I add more chopped sweet and green onion to this too and garlic, salt and pepper.) I add the remaining 1/4 cup yoshida's. I place this on grill a few minutes before the fish since the carrots take a tad longer than the fish.  The bok chow I steam. I just place it in my steamer for about 5-10 mins and pour a little olive oil over top.

PRESENTATION: Put scoop of rice on each plate. Lay bok chow over that. Place fish so it leans against rice and bok chow. Place other veggies on side.  (Pictures below show this along with a bowl of lemon butter we use for an artichoke I made)

Great for date night in when you have small kids and they are in bed. I recommend with Cunundrum white wine or Asian beer:)




No comments: