Why this blog??

Why this blog?? I often find myself stressing over what to make for my family for dinner. We live a busy life and some meals need time to prep, cook and let's not forget shopping for everything you need. I love cookbooks and websites, but there are so many recipe's at times it is overwhelming. The recipe's I will be posting are things I actually made. I will tell you if they are easy or more time consuming. I will also tell you if they are good. Most of these are recipe's I have made for years and continue to make because they are easy or quick and my family loves them and i know yours will too! I will also try to at least once in a whlie try a new recipe I've found on line or in a book and honestly rate it. I always encourage others to send me their favorite recipe's as well! I am a mom... not a chef. But I am a mom who enjoys cooking for her family and making a somewhat healthy meal (some days more healthy than others:) ) In each recipe I will share how I recommend serving it, any substitutions I can think of that are also good, or ways to prepare ahead of time to make the cooking part seem quicker! I am not a photographer, as you can see... most of these pictures are taken from my phone camera, so may not be the best! I love to hear from others who have made these recipes and what they have done to change the recipe... please post comments! Thank you! To "like" me on facebook, go to this link... It's What's Cookin

Friday, January 28, 2011

Chicken Mango Curry

Ok, this is one of MY favorite meals. My husband doesn't care for it... he'll eat it once, but won't take seconds or eat it as left overs. It makes a TON so i end up eating it for days... and I never get sick of it. I try to make it when I know friends will be over. Everyone really seems to like it except my picky husband and kids.

I got the recipe from a friend who had this dish at a Thai restaurant and loved it and ended up duplicating it. The key for this recipe is in the curry you buy. You need to get the Mae Ploy yellow curry paste! I had to drive 40 minutes to a local store to get it. I know you can get it on amazon or you can buy it on line at this site: http://grocerythai.com/ploy-yellow-curry-paste-ploy-p-492.html . I show pictures below... others just aren't the same. This seems like a fussy recipe, but it's really not at all. I use my dutch oven for this recipe. So does my friend. If you don't have one, i'm sure you could just do it over a large sauce pan... I've just never tried and cooking times may vary...

Thank you Marty and Lindsay for this amazing recipe!!

Ingredients:
*2-3T EVOO
*2 medium zucchini- cut in half moons
*1 yellow squash- cut in half moons
*1 onion- lg chop
*1/2 bag of carrot chips (optional... i add these but my friend doesn't)
*1 red bell pepper- chopped into 1 inch pieces
*2 bunches green onion- cut into 2 inch slices
*1-2 lg jalapeno's - finely chopped (two if you like spice like me. I also get a third to chop up and put on
          top raw for the extra heat and crunch)
*3-4 T (or to taste) Mae Ploy yellow curry paste
*1 can coconut milk
*1 can chicken broth (14 oz)
*1 large handful fresh basil- roll stacked leaves into cigar shape and slice thin (chiffonade)
*1 can bamboo shoots- drained
*1 can water chesnuts- drained
*3 T Thai fish sauce
*2 T Brown Sugar
*2 Cans (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
*3/4 rotisserie chicken- shredded into bite size chunks
*2 fresh mangos- peeled and sliced (or a large bag of frozed mango- defrosted)
*Sticky rice





  1. In your large pot, put in the EVOO, zucchini, squash, onion, red bell pepper, green onion, carrots, jalapeno, and some salt and pepper. Saute until almost done- not mushy.  I show this above.
  2. Add the curry and the coconut milk. Mix well. 


In the container is the bag of curry... this is what it looks like.
Putting the curry in

   3. Add chicken broth. Stir some more. Then add the basil, bamboo shoots, water chesnuts, thai fish sauce, brown sugar and tomotoes

This is after adding curry, coconut milk and broth

This is the fish sauce i use. Stays good in pantry for awhile.

Chiffonading the Basil

After adding all the above.

    4. When all is heated through, add the chicken and the mango.




    5. Serve in large Bowls over rice

** I like to add fresh jalapeno and lime to the top as I'm eating it. It's pretty healthy and it's restaurant quality! Enjoy!!

***To save time, I always cut all the veggies either the night before after kids are in bed, or during the day when I can find time. Put them in zip lock baggy or tupperware in fridge until ready to start cooking. I also always shred the chicken before hand and put in fridge. The only prep work i do while cooking is cutting the mango if I buy it fresh and cutting the basil.

This is the Dutch Oven I have... I LOVE it. Not only does it cook evenly and you can use it both on the stove top and in the oven, but the clean up is my favorite part. No need to soak these for days and scrub as hard as you can... this comes clean by just running water over it... no joke! I want his whole line! (The lasagna pan in on my wish list :) )


Here is another good one that is a little easier on the budget.



No comments: