Why this blog??

Why this blog?? I often find myself stressing over what to make for my family for dinner. We live a busy life and some meals need time to prep, cook and let's not forget shopping for everything you need. I love cookbooks and websites, but there are so many recipe's at times it is overwhelming. The recipe's I will be posting are things I actually made. I will tell you if they are easy or more time consuming. I will also tell you if they are good. Most of these are recipe's I have made for years and continue to make because they are easy or quick and my family loves them and i know yours will too! I will also try to at least once in a whlie try a new recipe I've found on line or in a book and honestly rate it. I always encourage others to send me their favorite recipe's as well! I am a mom... not a chef. But I am a mom who enjoys cooking for her family and making a somewhat healthy meal (some days more healthy than others:) ) In each recipe I will share how I recommend serving it, any substitutions I can think of that are also good, or ways to prepare ahead of time to make the cooking part seem quicker! I am not a photographer, as you can see... most of these pictures are taken from my phone camera, so may not be the best! I love to hear from others who have made these recipes and what they have done to change the recipe... please post comments! Thank you! To "like" me on facebook, go to this link... It's What's Cookin

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chilies


These were so dang good! I brought them over to a friends house for dinner and we practically all licked our plates clean! I found two different similar recipes on pinterest that originated from two different blogs... both recipes were rated very well. A friend also made similar ones not long ago that we loved. So after reading reviews of the other blogs and tweaking both to make it fit my family's liking, here is the recipe I made and came up with. I will definitely be making these at least twice a month. I'm even thinking about making a double batch next time and freezing them. I served them with a side of Rice-A-Roni Mexican Style rice. Any type of bean would be great too!

With this recipe, don't be afraid to make it your own... use what spices you have on hand... don't buy anything new as far as seasonings go. Rotel is optional, but I really thought it gave it great flavor and a little extra kick. If your family loves beans, add a can of pinto beans to the chicken mixture. Go crazy! :)

Ingredients:

*1 lb cooked shredded chicken (I recommend buying a rotisserie chicken and shredding it, or boiling 2 chicken breasts in seasoned water and then shredding)
*6-8 8-inch tortillas (we used flour) (I used 7... I felt it filled them enough to my liking)
*1 1/2-2 cups of shredded Mexican cheese (I really like cheese so we used the whole 2 cups of a colby-jack blend)
*1 can original rotel (the hot would be good too if not making for kids)
*1 medium onion- chopped
*1 4-ounce can of green chilies
*1 cup Sour Cream (I used fat free)
*1 14.5 oz can reduced sodium chicken broth
*4 T butter
*1/4 cup flour
*1 T oil (I used olive oil, vegetable oil works too)
*Pepper/Salt- to taste
*1-2 tsp taco seasonings (or you could use some cumin, garlic... whatever you have on hand)
*dash of garlic powder

Optional Toppings (pick and choose as many or as little as you wish... we used all!)
*Fresh cilantro
*Lime slices
*Avocado slices
*Freshly sliced jalapeno
*Salsa
*Hot Sauce

Preheat oven to 400

1. In frypan saute the onion in oil until done. Add your cooked shredded chicken, and all your seasoning. Cook another few minutes. Add can of Rotel and heat up another few minutes.

2. Divide the chicken mixture between your 8 tortillas. Top each with some of the cheese. Roll and place in 9x13 pan, seam side down.

3. In a medium sauce pan, melt your butter. Whisk in flour to make a roux. Stir and cook until bubbly.

4. Slowly stir in chicken broth whisking the whole time to incorporate. (I stirred in 1/4 can at a time until it was smooth... then stir in another 1/4 can... stir... repeat till full can is used and mixture is smooth) Bring mixture to a boil, stirring frequently and cook about 2 minutes.

5. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and green chiles.

6. Pour sauce evenly over the enchiladas and top with the rest of the cheese.  I covered and baked for 15 minutes and then cooked uncovered for another 5-7 minutes until cheese is melted and it's bubbly.

saute onion 
Shred Chicken

Add chicken to onions in pan. Add seasoning.

Add can of Rotel and heat up.

Divide mixture on tortilla's

Top with cheese and roll up

Place enchiladas, seam side down in pan (there are more than 8 here because I made a few extra  with just cheese and chicken (no rotel) for the kids


Make a roux with your melted butter and flour

Slowly add in chicken broth

Mix in broth till smooth

Add in sour cream

Add in your green chilies

Top enchiladas with the cream sauce

Top with remaining cheese (I also added more black pepper)

Bake 

YUM

Serve with favorite toppings

ENJOY!! And try not to pick up your plate and lick it clean!!!

No comments: