Why this blog??

Why this blog?? I often find myself stressing over what to make for my family for dinner. We live a busy life and some meals need time to prep, cook and let's not forget shopping for everything you need. I love cookbooks and websites, but there are so many recipe's at times it is overwhelming. The recipe's I will be posting are things I actually made. I will tell you if they are easy or more time consuming. I will also tell you if they are good. Most of these are recipe's I have made for years and continue to make because they are easy or quick and my family loves them and i know yours will too! I will also try to at least once in a whlie try a new recipe I've found on line or in a book and honestly rate it. I always encourage others to send me their favorite recipe's as well! I am a mom... not a chef. But I am a mom who enjoys cooking for her family and making a somewhat healthy meal (some days more healthy than others:) ) In each recipe I will share how I recommend serving it, any substitutions I can think of that are also good, or ways to prepare ahead of time to make the cooking part seem quicker! I am not a photographer, as you can see... most of these pictures are taken from my phone camera, so may not be the best! I love to hear from others who have made these recipes and what they have done to change the recipe... please post comments! Thank you! To "like" me on facebook, go to this link... It's What's Cookin

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Homemade Sloppy, Sloppy Joes

I HATE Manwich. Always have... I was given this recipe about 7 years ago and make it often. About 90% of people who try it get the recipe and can't go back to the canned version of Sloppy Joes. I've even been told by people that they didn't like sloppy joes before trying these!

*2 lbs lean ground beef
*Small sweet onion chopped
*1/4 Cup distilled white vinegar
*1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
*1/4 Cup white sugar
* 1.5 Cups of Ketchup

When I make this recipe I never even measure anymore... you can add more vinegar to make it extra tangy or extra sugar to make it sweeter, or extra ketchup to make it sloppier... it's your call

1. I first start by sauteing the onions in a little bit of EVOO and some nature seasonings (or just salt and pepper will do)
2. Add meat and brown till done.
3. Add all the other ingredients, stir well, and simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Taste and add more of what ever you'd like depending on the taste you are going for.
4. Serve on hamburger buns. Some like with cheese on them. I like served along side chips and a pickle.


**One friend adds a little less ketchup and about 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce. Another friend adds a few stalks of chopped celery at the end to give it a little crunch as well as a few dashes of lawry's salt.  Make it your own and enjoy!! Let me know how you like yours!!

chop onions finely
saute onion with a little olive oil and seasonings (Nature seasonings or salt and pepper)


Add Ground beef once onions are sauted. Brown till done. Add any other seasonings you wish (Lawry's season salt, garlic powder...). Then add your vinegar, sugars and ketchup. Simmer. Taste and add anything else you think it needs!


Served on a bun (with or without cheese). Also shown here is my parmesan crusted zucchini. http://realmomsrealdinners.blogspot.com/2011/06/parmesan-crusted-zucchini.html

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I should try this! Now I want a Sloppy Joe!