Why this blog??

Why this blog?? I often find myself stressing over what to make for my family for dinner. We live a busy life and some meals need time to prep, cook and let's not forget shopping for everything you need. I love cookbooks and websites, but there are so many recipe's at times it is overwhelming. The recipe's I will be posting are things I actually made. I will tell you if they are easy or more time consuming. I will also tell you if they are good. Most of these are recipe's I have made for years and continue to make because they are easy or quick and my family loves them and i know yours will too! I will also try to at least once in a whlie try a new recipe I've found on line or in a book and honestly rate it. I always encourage others to send me their favorite recipe's as well! I am a mom... not a chef. But I am a mom who enjoys cooking for her family and making a somewhat healthy meal (some days more healthy than others:) ) In each recipe I will share how I recommend serving it, any substitutions I can think of that are also good, or ways to prepare ahead of time to make the cooking part seem quicker! I am not a photographer, as you can see... most of these pictures are taken from my phone camera, so may not be the best! I love to hear from others who have made these recipes and what they have done to change the recipe... please post comments! Thank you! To "like" me on facebook, go to this link... It's What's Cookin

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Chicken Gyros



Found this recipe on pinterest and it was pretty good and fairly easy to make! It seems like a long list of ingredients but a lot of it I already had on hand and it wasn't as difficult as it looks:) I will definitely make this again! 

Ingredients:
  • Tzatziki Sauce:
  • 1 cup plain Yoplait® Greek yogurt
  • 1 cucumber, peeled and seeded
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar (I didn't have so I used red wine vinegar) 
  • salt and pepper
  • drizzle of olive oil
  • squeeze of lemon

  • For the chicken marinade:
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • juice of one lemon (2-3 Tablespoons)
  • 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
  • 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 heaping Tablespoons Yoplait® Greek yogurt
  • 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 1/4 pounds skinless, chicken breasts

  • For the gyros:
  • 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
  • 1/2 cup red onion, diced
  • 6 pitas or flatbread

  • Directions:
1) Chop the cucumber in a food processor or shred. About 1/4-1/2 cup. Wrap in a towel and squeeze to remove as much water as possible. Mix together the yogurt, shredded cucumber, garlic, white wine vinegar, salt and pepper to taste, and lemon juice. Drizzle lightly with olive oil. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving so the flavors can meld.
2) To prepare the chicken marinade, combine the garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil, yogurt, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste in a medium bowl. Whisk together until mixed well. Add the chicken pieces to the bowl and mix well to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. The flavors will infuse the chicken the longer it marinates. Discard marinade after use.
3) Cook chicken in a skillet on medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until done. Once the chicken is cooked, tranfer to a plate and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut into small strips.
4)Warm pitas in the microwave. Top with chicken, tzatziki sauce, diced tomatoes and onions. Serve immediately

Marinade Chicken

Tzatziki Sauce


No comments: