Why this blog??

Why this blog?? I often find myself stressing over what to make for my family for dinner. We live a busy life and some meals need time to prep, cook and let's not forget shopping for everything you need. I love cookbooks and websites, but there are so many recipe's at times it is overwhelming. The recipe's I will be posting are things I actually made. I will tell you if they are easy or more time consuming. I will also tell you if they are good. Most of these are recipe's I have made for years and continue to make because they are easy or quick and my family loves them and i know yours will too! I will also try to at least once in a whlie try a new recipe I've found on line or in a book and honestly rate it. I always encourage others to send me their favorite recipe's as well! I am a mom... not a chef. But I am a mom who enjoys cooking for her family and making a somewhat healthy meal (some days more healthy than others:) ) In each recipe I will share how I recommend serving it, any substitutions I can think of that are also good, or ways to prepare ahead of time to make the cooking part seem quicker! I am not a photographer, as you can see... most of these pictures are taken from my phone camera, so may not be the best! I love to hear from others who have made these recipes and what they have done to change the recipe... please post comments! Thank you! To "like" me on facebook, go to this link... It's What's Cookin

Friday, January 20, 2012

Sesame Ginger Stir Fry


This was a last minute meal idea. I had some left over chicken from previous dinners this week that I had to cook up. I also had the water chestnuts, rice, carrots, onions, zucchini and squash on hand along with all the seasonings and the marinade. All I needed was broccoli! I just kind of made it up as I went along and my sister-in-law, daughter and I loved it! It was healthy, quick and easy and I REALLY loved this Lawry's marinade!!

You can change up this recipe according to what veggies you have on hand or what your family likes. You could even make it a vegetarian meal by omitting the chicken.

Ingredients:
* 4 T Lawry's Sesame Ginger Marinade (3T for marinading Chicken + 1T for stir frying veggies)
* 1 T Stir Fry Oil (you can also use olive oil, but i would saute some fresh minced garlic in it first)
* 1-2 boneless skinless chicken breasts- pounded thin
* 1 small zucchini- cut into half moons
* 1 small yellow squash- cut into half moons
* 3 green onions- cut into 2 inch pieces
* 1 cup broccoli florets (I steam these first and add last few minutes to stirfry)
* 1 small can of sliced water chesnuts
* small handful carrot chips (I took baby carrots and sliced them thin)
* 1 tsp Chinese Five Spice
* 2 cups jasmine or calrose rice- made per instructions (I make mine in rice maker)
* soy sauce or tamari sauce to taste... I put mine on my rice before adding stirfry

1. Marinate Chicken for a whole day in 3T of Lawry's Sesame Ginger Marinade in a zip lock baggie in the fridge.

2. Heat up oil in sauce pan on medium-high heat. Add chicken with about 1T of the marinade (Discard rest of marinade) and cook till chicken is cooked through. Add water chestnuts and cook an additional 2 minutes.  Remove chicken to a platter and set aside.

3. Add all veggies + 1T of Sesame Ginger Marinade to pan and saute till fork tender. Season the veggies with the Chinese Five Spice and some salt and pepper.  (I like to put the broccoli in a bowl with 1T of water. Cover with a paper towel and microwave for 3 minutes until tender). Once other veggies are done, add broccoli to it. Stir together well.

3. Add chicken and water chestnuts back to the pan. Turn heat to low and cover for a few minutes.  Serve over rice with soy sauce to taste.
My ingredients  
Cooking up Chicken and water chestnuts. 

Add your veggies and 1T of the marinade and season veggies. Saute till fork tender but not mushy.

Add the chicken and water chestnuts back into the pan with the veggies

Serve over rice with a touch of soy sauce or tamari sauce. 

No comments: