Why this blog??

Why this blog?? I often find myself stressing over what to make for my family for dinner. We live a busy life and some meals need time to prep, cook and let's not forget shopping for everything you need. I love cookbooks and websites, but there are so many recipe's at times it is overwhelming. The recipe's I will be posting are things I actually made. I will tell you if they are easy or more time consuming. I will also tell you if they are good. Most of these are recipe's I have made for years and continue to make because they are easy or quick and my family loves them and i know yours will too! I will also try to at least once in a whlie try a new recipe I've found on line or in a book and honestly rate it. I always encourage others to send me their favorite recipe's as well! I am a mom... not a chef. But I am a mom who enjoys cooking for her family and making a somewhat healthy meal (some days more healthy than others:) ) In each recipe I will share how I recommend serving it, any substitutions I can think of that are also good, or ways to prepare ahead of time to make the cooking part seem quicker! I am not a photographer, as you can see... most of these pictures are taken from my phone camera, so may not be the best! I love to hear from others who have made these recipes and what they have done to change the recipe... please post comments! Thank you! To "like" me on facebook, go to this link... It's What's Cookin

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Beer Brisket- "Cook This, Not That"

I absolutely love the book "Cook This, Not That!" By David Zinczenko and Matt Goulding. Not only does it give you better choices for things you already love to eat, but it also has some really great recipes in it... including this one! Here is what the recipe says in the book...



"Don't mess with Texas, they say, and we try not to. But it's hard not to fall in love with some of their more inspired culinary treasures like fajitas, nachos, and smoked brisket. They all share one thing in common, though: a need for nutritional improvement. We deliver that here with a leaner cut of beef, a light sauce, and a modest portion size." They then compare this recipe to the Lone Star Steakhouse's Texas Ribeye. This recipe saves you 622 calories and $16.85 per serving!

*3-4lb lean brisket
*2 Tbsp chili powder
*1 tsp smoked paprika (I just used regular paprika)
*Salt and Black pepper to taste (I used a mixture of sea salt and kosher salt and black pepper)
*1 can/bottle dark beer (i used guinness and I used 1 1/2 bottles)
*1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
*1/2 cup ketchup
*2 Tbsp honey

Here is the recipe they give... see my notes below to see how I did it a bit differently.

*Preheat oven to 325. Rub brisket all over with chili powder, paprika and salt/pepper. Place brisket in baking dish, pour in half of beer and cover thightly with foil. Bake for 2 hours, until brisket is very tender.
*At this point, you can eat brisket and be really happy with results. But to add that authentic char and smoky flavor, you'll need to heat a gas or charcoal grill (if using charcoal, add handful of soaked hickory or oak chips for great smoky flavor).
*Combine half of remaining beer with vinegar, ketchup and honey and brush over brisket. Place on coolest part of grill and cook until lightly charred all over, brushing with more of beer mixture along way. After meat rests for 10 mins, carve and serve with a bit more sauce or on a warm roll for a mean brisket sandwich.

****I cooked mine at 250 for 6 1/2 hours in the oven. Then I used the gas grill till it was slightly charred on outside. This is good served alone with the sauce (i recommend mash potatoes as a side). Also good first day or as left overs as a sandwich! I used 3/4 beer in the cooking and another 3/4 beer in the sauce... don't be wastefull- drink the rest:)


Before cooking- in about an inch of beer

After about 6 1/2 hours of slow cooking at low temp in oven

Grilling and brushing on the beer sauce

As Sandwich

Enjoy! Spoon more sauce over top of this.



I LOVE this cookbook. Full of great recipes as well as tips!

No comments: