Why this blog??

Why this blog?? I often find myself stressing over what to make for my family for dinner. We live a busy life and some meals need time to prep, cook and let's not forget shopping for everything you need. I love cookbooks and websites, but there are so many recipe's at times it is overwhelming. The recipe's I will be posting are things I actually made. I will tell you if they are easy or more time consuming. I will also tell you if they are good. Most of these are recipe's I have made for years and continue to make because they are easy or quick and my family loves them and i know yours will too! I will also try to at least once in a whlie try a new recipe I've found on line or in a book and honestly rate it. I always encourage others to send me their favorite recipe's as well! I am a mom... not a chef. But I am a mom who enjoys cooking for her family and making a somewhat healthy meal (some days more healthy than others:) ) In each recipe I will share how I recommend serving it, any substitutions I can think of that are also good, or ways to prepare ahead of time to make the cooking part seem quicker! I am not a photographer, as you can see... most of these pictures are taken from my phone camera, so may not be the best! I love to hear from others who have made these recipes and what they have done to change the recipe... please post comments! Thank you! To "like" me on facebook, go to this link... It's What's Cookin

Monday, December 30, 2013

Cheese Tortellini & Butternut Squash in a Brown Butter and Sage Sauce



Not only was this an extremely easy meal to make, but it was surprisingly very good too! The family all really liked it and it got the kids to eat some butternut squash! The tortellini really pairs well with the sweetness of the squash and the saltiness of the pancetta. I will be making this again for an easy, quick weekday meal! 

I found the recipe in the magazine "Cuisine for two". It is great when you are cooking for 2 adults (or 2 adults and 2 small kids if you just tweek the ingredients a tad). 
Ingredients:
* 1 1/2 c peeled and cubed butternut squash (I used half a large squash, around 2 cups)
* 1/2 lb refrigerated cheese-filled tortellini (about 2 cups) (I used a whole lb container)
* 2 tsp olive oil
* 2 slices prosciutto or ham, cut into thin ribbons (I went to my deli and had them slice me 3 NOT THIN slices of pancetta). 
* 4 T unsalted butter (I used closer to 5 1/2 T)
* 1 lg sprig fresh sage
* 2 T dry sherry
* juice of 1/2 lemon
* chopped fresh parsley (optional- hubby and I used on ours and left off the kids. If you have it on hand, great... if not, save on ingredients and this is really not essential).
* freshly ground black pepper



Directions (right from magazine):
*Cook squash in large saucepan of boiling salted water for 3 minutes. Add tortellini; cook according to package directions until squash and tortellini are both tender (after I added the tortellini I cooked for another 6 mins or so). Drain Tortellini and squash and set aside. (I left sit in colander in my sink).

*Heat oil in saute pan over medium high heat. Add prosciutto, cook until crisp, then drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Return skillet to burner and reduce to medium heat.

*Melt butter in same pan over medium heat. Once melted, add sage and cook until butter browns, about 4 minutes; discard sage sprig. Stir in sherry and cook another 30 seconds while stirring. Add the squash, tortellini and prosciutto back in and toss to heat through.

*Off heat, drizzle tortellini mixture with the lemon juice, and sprinkle with parsley and pepper. 

*Serve and enjoy while warm! We served with side salads for the adults and fruit salad for the kiddos:)

boiling tortellini with the squash (Squash is under tortellini)

Drain and set aside

cook prosciutto till crisp (like bacon)

Brown butter while scraping the sides of pan to get leftover prosciutto bits

add the sherry and cook for another 30 seconds or so

Toss back in the squash, tortellini and prosciutto


Delicious! 


No comments: