Why this blog??

Why this blog?? I often find myself stressing over what to make for my family for dinner. We live a busy life and some meals need time to prep, cook and let's not forget shopping for everything you need. I love cookbooks and websites, but there are so many recipe's at times it is overwhelming. The recipe's I will be posting are things I actually made. I will tell you if they are easy or more time consuming. I will also tell you if they are good. Most of these are recipe's I have made for years and continue to make because they are easy or quick and my family loves them and i know yours will too! I will also try to at least once in a whlie try a new recipe I've found on line or in a book and honestly rate it. I always encourage others to send me their favorite recipe's as well! I am a mom... not a chef. But I am a mom who enjoys cooking for her family and making a somewhat healthy meal (some days more healthy than others:) ) In each recipe I will share how I recommend serving it, any substitutions I can think of that are also good, or ways to prepare ahead of time to make the cooking part seem quicker! I am not a photographer, as you can see... most of these pictures are taken from my phone camera, so may not be the best! I love to hear from others who have made these recipes and what they have done to change the recipe... please post comments! Thank you! To "like" me on facebook, go to this link... It's What's Cookin

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Crock Pot Turkey and Gravy



This is the easiest thing in the world and can be made into two different dinners. The first night I make it I usually also make mash potatoes and steamed broccoli or sauteed green beans. The second night I serve the left overs on rolls with havarti cheese and serve a side salad with it! Also good for parties as sandwiches...

*3lb Butterball Boneless Turkey (this comes with a package of gravy.. i toss that)
*2-3 glass jars of turkey gravy (I use 3 jars of Heinz Home Style Turkey Gravy because i like extra gravy for my mash potatoes and to make the sandwiches extra sloppy.)

Take Turkey out of netting and place in crock pot. Pour your gravy on top. Cook on medium for 5-6 hours. Turkey will fall apart!

When Serving on a bun. Place the shredded or sliced turkey on bottom bun. Place cheese on top of meat if you would like cheese. Dip inside of top bun into the gravy and soak it. Place on top. Sloppy but that's the best way!

**I typically buy 80% of my meat organic/natural... this is one time I don't. Haven't found a good brand that makes a boneless turkey.

Enjoy!

The turkey and Gravy. Add Buns and Cheese for an amazing sandwich!
Raw turkey and gravy at beginning of cooking
After cooking for 6 1/2 hour on medium/low

Sloppy Turkey Goodness...



No comments: